What is canvas? How is it utilized in wall art? Is it worth looking into for your wall art? The answer may be yes. Read on to answer all of these questions and more.
What is Canvas Wall Art?
Canvas is a type of material; therefore, it would be the type of material used to make wall art. Canvas is a robust and woven cloth used to display paint or photographs. Thus, canvas wall art is mostly printed or painted images.
Benefits of Canvas Wall Art
- There is no glare on canvas: Canvas prints have a satin-matte finish that makes canvas perfect for displaying pieces in well-lit rooms.
- Canvas is versatile: There is a wide array of styles to choose from when it comes to printing on canvas. Canvas art can fit in naturally with many different types of décor and, therefore, can stand the test of time.
- Affordability: Canvas is one of the cheaper options for wall décor. Canvas is not more affordable than a regular plastic frame. But it is cheaper than glass and possibly plexiglass.
- Sizing Options: Canvas prints and artwork are available in many sizes. The size variety will make getting the exact look you want for your room much more manageable.
- Any photo or painting will look good on canvas: Some images or illustrations don’t look particularly good in other mediums, but canvas has a way of making it work. The exception is if the focal point is minimal.
- Canvas doesn’t need to be framed: This one can be both a benefit and a con.
Cons of Canvas Wall Art
- Canvas isn’t waterproof. Your wall art will be in danger if it gets wet.
- They are also not scratch resistant.
- Canvas printed artwork will cost more than just buying a frame, but less than a higher quality frame material like glass.
- Since there is no need for a frame, canvas art is less protected.
Ultimately, the pros of canvas wall art seem to outweigh the cons. The end decision is up to you. It may come down to what style you prefer or the price tag. Keep in mind that some amazing things can be done with a canvas. Canvas eliminates the need for a frame and lowers the protection quality. However, canvas does lend a high-quality look that cannot be duplicated by frames or glass.