The next time you find yourself in need of a new electrical switch, you don’t want to jump straight to the conventional two-pole variety. Not only are these switches the most commonly found in today’s homes and offices, but they also consume the least amount of energy (and therefore produce the least amount of heat). But, they can be noisy and hard to silence. You could opt for a single-pole switch, but these require a neutral wire.
A single pole switch is an electrical switch that only has one set of contacts. A double pole switch has two sets of contacts, which allows a single switch to control two circuits. It is common for a double pole switch to have two switches mounted onto a single piece of metal with a hole in the middle, which is why double pole switches are called “hole switches”.
A single pole switch is for those who want to quickly adjust the lights but are too lazy to go all the way to the other room. A single pole switch is also great for adding lights to a room that already has an existing switch. A single pole switch will add a small amount of flexibility to your lighting scheme. A double pole switch is for those who want to completely control their lighting, and who have the patience to remove their light switches. A double pole switch is also great for adding lights to a room that already has an existing switch. A double pole switch will add a slightly larger amount of flexibility to your lighting scheme.
What is a pole?
A pole of a particular switch is the number of complete circuits the said switch can be able to control. There are two main types of poles, the single-pole, and the double pole.
What are single-pole switches?
Single pole switches are the common light switches. They can control only one circuit, and you can turn the circuit off and on using the pole switch. These pole switches thus typically tend to be used on households and in commercial places that do not require a lot of electricity.
What is a double pole switch?
Double pole switches can control two separate circuits simultaneously. Additionally, they support a higher amount of voltage than the single pole. Thus, they are typically used in factories and other places that require a supply of a large voltage of electricity.
What is the difference between a single pole and a double pole switch?
There are a couple of profound differences between the two pieces of electric equipment. They include;
- Number of circuits that the pole can control – As aforementioned, the single pole can control only one circuit, while the double pole can control two circuits. The single-pole only has a single pair of connection terminals. This means that it can hold only one pair of wires. One of the wires is the live wire, which is black, that brings in the electricity, while the other wire is the outgoing one, the hot wire. When the single pole is switched on, the connection between the black wire to the hot wire is cut off, meaning that the circuit is broken. The double pole on the other hand has two pairs of connection terminals. They have two black and two red wires connected to them. One of the black wires and one of the red wires supply power into the switch, while the other pair of wires take the electricity to the device or place that is being controlled. This means that if you flip off the switch of the double pole, you will be able to cut the connection of two circuits.
- Amount of electricity that they can control – The double pole can supply a current of 240 volts to the residence, building, or appliance, while the single-pole can only supply 120 volts. In North America, the wiring standard was made to make it possible for two hot wires to supply power to appliances that need a voltage of 240 volts. As aforementioned, the double pole has two black and two red, meaning it can control these levels of voltage. On the other hand, the single-pole only has half the number of wires that the double pole has. This means that it is only able to withstand a maximum of half the voltage that the double pole can. 120 volts. A single-pole switch can have 1-2 permanent live feeds and one positive load lives.
- Neutral terminal – Buildings and places that receive their power from a single-pole often need a neutral wire, while the double pole doesn’t need one. The neutral wire is not needed because the two hot wires that constitute a double pole are a complete circuit, thus no neutral wire is needed or required.
- Type of wiring used – In addition to the fact the double pole and then single pole differ in voltage levels and the number of circuits, they also have different wiring. The double pole can withstand a high amount of voltage. This means that the wires that supply electricity into the double pole, as well as those that take the power out, are larger than those you would find in a single pole. To cope with this, the double pole has larger terminals to accommodate the thicker wires.
- Current – The double pole is rated for a higher current than the single pole. All this simply means that the double pole can supply electricity with a higher current to equipment without damaging it. It is important not that you get a pole that supplies a current that is equal to or higher than the amount of current that the appliance requires.
Similarities between the double pole and single pole
Neither the double pole nor the single-pole has a neutral terminal. If the faceplate and yoke that houses either of the two poles are made of metal, however, you will be required to ground it. A plastic switch plates, on the other hand, don’t need to be grounded, since they are class 2 products.
When are you required to use either of them?
The amount of electricity, both voltage-wise and current-wise, that appliances in a building, or the building itself, will use is the most important way to know which pole you should use. Another reason why you may be required to use a particular pole is the rules and regulations that govern the construction and electrical installation process of the area. If, say, the building is in an industrial area, then it needs to have a double pole. This is because the building itself will be industrial, and thus will house heavy load appliances and machinery. The rating of the electrical appliance will also affect the type of pole switch you will use. As stated earlier, some appliances require more voltage than others. Double poles come in a myriad of ratings. For example, a 20A rated double pole is tailor-fitted for small appliances like ovens, while a 45A double pole switch is for more heavy-duty appliances.The most basic type of switch is the single pole switch, also known as a normal single pole switch and a single throw switch. It is made up of a single circuit and has one switch that is just a single switch. The circuit it controls is a single circuit that can be complete with one switch. When you use a single pole switch, only one circuit is controlled by the switch.. Read more about double pole switch diagram and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need single or double pole switch?
If your home is using only single pole switches then you may not have any problems. However, if you are using both single and double pole switches, it is very important to know the difference. In this article, we have explained the difference between single and double pole switches. A lot of us are confused about what kind of switches we need for our electrical sockets. Is a single pole switch better than a double pole switch? It’s a common question and many people are tempted to go to the cheapest route and buy a single pole switch. But do you really need one?
Why would you use a double pole switch?
A double pole switch is one type of a switch that is used in a number of electrical devices: switches, outlets, dimmer switches, and light fixtures. Double pole switches have two different terminals, and there are several electrical designs for the two poles. Some are single pole, others dual pole. But, which ones are better? There are many different types of double pole switches and the different kinds have different designs. The most commonly used electrical devices in homes are switches. Most people know that a switch can either be a double pole switch or a single pole switch. However, many people don’t know the difference between a double pole switch and a single pole switch.
What does single pole and double pole mean?
A single pole switch is a switch that has only one switch position on it. It is a simple and common kind of light switch and is what most people refer to when they talk about a single pole switch. A double pole switch is a switch that has two switches positions on it. It is a more advanced type of switch and is often used when two circuits need to share the same switch. When you’re trying to determine the difference between a single and double pole switch, the first thing that comes to mind is obvious: the two types of switches look different. The single pole switch is basically a single piece of metal that has one contact area, while the double pole switch is made up of two separate pieces, each with a separate contact area.
Feedback,when to use a double pole switchwhat is a double pole switchwhat is a single pole switchdouble pole switch diagramdouble pole light switchdouble pole single throw switch,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,Switch,Rotary switch,Pressure switch,DIP switch,Limit switch,MOSFET,See more,Leviton 20 Amp Double‑Po…,Leviton 3032‑PL 30 Amp 120…,Leviton Toggle Switch,Leviton 20 Toggle Switch CS…,when to use a double pole switch,what is a double pole switch,what is a single pole switch,double pole switch diagram,difference between single pole and double pole socket,how to wire a double pole switch as a single pole,double pole light switch,double pole single throw switch